How to Start a Sticker Business
Do you have a creative flair and a love of design? Are you looking for a way to start your own business? If so, then starting a sticker business could be the perfect option for you!
In this blog post, we will discuss the basics of how to start a sticker business. We will go over the pros and cons of starting such a business, as well as some tips on how to get started. So if you’re ready to start your own sticker company, keep reading!
You make art that people want. Whether you illustrate pop culture references or recreate beautiful scenery and landmarks, someone out there wants to buy your art. But what medium will you use to feature your work?
One of the most popular methods for creating and selling art is stickers. They’re easy to make and an easy way for people to grow their art collection. Making stickers is also a great way for an artist to make money by creating.
So have you been wondering how to start a sticker business? Here’s everything you need to know before you sell your first sticker.
Why Start a Sticker Business?
There are a few reasons why starting a sticker business might be the right move for you. Here are some of the benefits of owning your own sticker company:
- You get to be creative and share your art with the world.
- It’s an easy way to make money.
- Stickers are a great way to market your brand or business.
- They’re fun and nostalgic, which means people love collecting them!
The downside of any business is that there are always risks involved in starting up.
Before you decide to start a sticker business, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons so you can make an informed decision.
What Type of Stickers Are You Making?
There are several options. Are you looking to design and create some stock sticker designs that you can sell in stores, specialty shows, or online? Or are you looking to create a custom sticker for a customer?
If you’re creating custom stickers, the sky is the limit on what you can do. But if you’re designing stock stickers, there are some things to keep in mind:
- Popular themes include funny phrases and sayings, cute animals or characters, and beautiful landscapes.
- Make sure your stickers are high quality and durable. You don’t want them to fall apart or fade quickly.
- Think about how you can make your stickers unique. Whether it’s the design, the material, or how they’re packaged, find a way to set yourself apart from other sticker companies.
- While you can sell stickers online, they’re also a popular item to sell at craft fairs and specialty shows. If you want to get your products in front of potential customers as soon as possible, consider how many events are happening near where you live.
Before starting your business, you have to know your product. So first decide what kind of stickers you’re looking to sell.
Will your customer put your stickers on the back of their cars, or will they use them to decorate laptops, notebooks, or furniture?
The kind of stickers you choose to make determines how your customer will use them. So keep that in mind as you choose your preferred sticker type.
Types of Stickers
Vinyl Stickers – Vinyl stickers are a durable type of sticker. They can be weatherproof and last for a long time when applied to a surface correctly.
Puffy Stickers – Puffy stickers are made of vinyl, but they’re three-dimensional, giving them a unique look and feel.
Die Cut Stickers – Die cut stickers are cut into specific shapes and designs. This makes them stand out from the traditional square or rectangle shape of other stickers.
Window Clings – Window clings use static electricity to stick to surfaces like windows or mirrors. They can be easily removed without leaving any residue behind.
Magnetic Stickers – Magnetic stickers use magnets on the backside of the sticker so that they will stick to metal surfaces.
Now that you know what type of stickers to make, it’s time to start designing! As we mentioned before, think about how you can make your stickers unique. Here are a few ideas:
- Use bright and bold colors
- Add interesting patterns or designs
- Make your stickers interactive (e.g. scratch-offs, peel and stick)
- Create a theme for your sticker line (e.g. all ocean-themed, all floral-themed, etc.)
Once you have a design in mind, it’s time to create a prototype. This is the mock-up of your sticker that will be sent to the printer. If you don’t have graphic design experience, there are plenty of online resources and templates that you can use to help you create a high-quality prototype.
Selling stickers online has become a popular way for artists and small businesses to make money. By following these simple steps, you too can start selling stickers and making a profit.
Steps How to Start a Sticker Business:
1. Choose a Business Model
You have to choose the business model that works best for you, your schedule, and your needs. There are three main ways of running a business creating stickers.
The first is with a full-service design company. These require you to upload a design to their website. The company will print and send your stickers to customers, and you’ll receive a commission for each sale.
The second is a printing company that will print your stickers then send them back to you. Here you’ll upload your design and specify how many stickers you want. After you get the stickers back, you’ll have to sell each piece.
The last is the DIY model which doesn’t require the use of a printing company at all. Using this method, you’ll design and print all the stickers yourself with a crafting machine.
2. Find a Niche
Find a niche for your stickers. Are you interested in designing funny sayings and quotes? Do you enjoy drawing animals? Find something that interests you, or else it’ll be difficult to keep up with the business.
Try making several different kinds of stickers at first until you find what works best for you. Once you have some popular designs, stick with that theme when creating new pieces. This will help attract customers who already love your work to buy more products from your business.
If this is how to start a sticker business, then consider how much time and effort goes into each piece of art! Make sure you can make enough money selling your product through quantity or price before investing too much time in making them!
Here is a sample niche for you to start a sticker business:
- Animal Stickers
- Flower Stickers
- Funny Saying and Quotes Stickers
- Cute Characters
- Landscape Scene Sticker Collection
3. Choose Your Materials
No matter what model you choose, you’ll need a way to create your sticker designs. Creating digitally with a tablet is often the best option since it’s easy to upload to a printing program.
If you choose to DIY your sticker business, you’ll also need a plotter machine to cut your designs. What kind of stickers you make will determine the other materials you need.
The most popular option is vinyl because it’s easy to work with and versatile. However, for waterproof and outdoor options, PVC is the best option.
When you are ready to invest in the type of materials and equipment needed for creating high-quality stickers to sell, you’ll need to buy the following materials to start a sticker business:
- Printers: Business owners are typically investing in a quality printer, how much do you want to invest in your sticker business?
- Vinyl Transfer Paper: Two types of vinyl transfer paper, one for light fabrics and another for dark. You will also need a laminator machine as well!
- Iron-On Transfers: These are great if you want to create custom t-shirts or other garments with an image on them but don’t have access to screen printing equipment.
- Adhesive Vinyl Sheets in Assorted Colors: If you are going to make vinyl stickers, you will need this!
- Craft Cutters: This is how you’ll cut your designs out of the vinyl material. There are a few different types of craft cutters on the market so find one that fits your needs and budget.
- Cutting Mats: These protect your work surface from being scratched or damaged when you’re cutting materials.
- Inkjet Printer Paper: You don’t want to use just any paper in your inkjet printer! Purchase some sticker printer paper which is specifically designed for this type of printing.
- Sticker Software: A good software program makes it easy for you to create professional-looking stickers with ease. Many programs also come with clip art, fonts, and other design features to help get you started.
- Packaging: When selling stickers, it’s important to package them in a way that makes them look professional and appealing. This could be anything from simple cellophane bags to custom-printed boxes.
4. Set Your Prices
Determining how much to charge for your stickers can be difficult. You want to make a profit, but you also don’t want to price them so high that customers won’t buy them.
A good way to start is by researching how much other sticker businesses are selling their products. This will give you a general idea of how much your products should cost.
Keep in mind that the type of sticker, the material it’s made out of, and how many you order will all play into the final price. Also, don’t forget about shipping costs!
It’s important to remember that not every customer will buy multiple stickers. Some may only purchase one or two designs, so your average sale price should reflect this.
When pricing your stickers, consider the following:
- The cost of materials
- The amount of time it takes to create each sticker
- Shipping and handling costs
- How many designs are available
- What type of sticker it is (vinyl, PVC, etc.)
- Whether or not a discount is offered for purchasing multiple stickers at once
Once you have all of this information, you can start setting prices that will help you make a profit while still being competitive in the market. As your business grows, you may want to adjust your prices accordingly. But starting off with a fair price is essential to getting buyers interested in your product.
5. How to Market and Sell Your Stickers
Marketing for a small business is essential for its success. Many sticker makers have found the most success marketing their stickers on social media.
You can also sell your stickers on third-party sites like Redbubble and Etsy. These sites cater to creative entrepreneurs, which is exactly how these sticker makers were able to find success with their products. You could also consider promoting them through influencer marketing as well!
Don’t forget about advertising in local newspapers, handing out business cards at events or fairs, and posting flyers around town too!
One of the best ways how to start a sticker business is by using social media and other online platforms such as Pinterest or Instagram where you can reach new audiences every day without spending any money on advertising costs.
A profile that shows off your artistic process and the current designs you offer will draw potential customers to your online business.
You can sell your stickers on established platforms. These are great because they already have a built-in audience and can make finding new customers easier.
The other option is through your own website. Your own business website is great if you want to have total control when it comes to creating a brand. But this method often involves more marketing to find new customers.
No matter how you decide to market your stickers, make sure you are doing something! Marketing is one of the most important aspects of any business.
When it comes to selling stickers, there are a few different methods you can use:
- Online stores
- Art shows
- Festivals and conventions
- Online auctions
- Local businesses
- Schools and other organizations
You don’t have to use all of these methods, but figure out which ones will work best for your business and focus on those. Trying to do too much can be overwhelming and may not produce the results you want.
Here are a few tips where you can sell your stickers:
Etsy – Etsy is a great online store for selling handmade items, including stickers. It’s easy to set up an account and list your products.
Storenvy – Storenvy is similar to Etsy, but has a smaller user base. This can be good if you’re looking to reach a more specific audience.
Facebook – Selling stickers on Facebook is a great way to reach a large number of people. You can create a business page and post pictures of your stickers for sale.
Twitter – Just like Facebook, Twitter is another social media site that is perfect for selling stickers. You can tweet about your products and include links to where customers can buy them.
Pinterest – Pinterest is a visual platform that is great for selling stickers. You can create boards that showcase your designs and include links to purchase them.
Blog – A blog is a great way to show off your work and sell stickers at the same time. You can include pictures of your products, how to order them, and where people can find you online.
Your own website – Creating your own website is another great way to sell stickers. You can include pictures and how customers can order them directly from you.
Sticker You – Sticker You is a platform for selling stickers. You can create your own account and upload designs that customers can then purchase from you directly.
Instagram – Instagram is another popular social media platform where people share pictures of their daily life or what they’re doing right now in real-time. It’s perfect for sharing pictures of how your products look in use.
Shopify – Shopify is an e-commerce platform that you can use to create your own online store. It’s perfect for businesses who want more control over their website and how they sell their products.
As you can see, there are many different ways to market and sell your stickers. Figure out which ones will work best for you and focus on those.
Pros and Cons of Selling Stickers
- Stickers are light products that are easy to ship.
- They are a great way to promote your business or brand.
- You can design once and resell all over
- There is a large potential market for stickers
- Easy to bundle and easy to market
- Stickers can be easily damaged during shipping
- The cost of producing stickers can be high, depending on how they are printed
- People may not want to purchase something that is permanent
- There is a lot of competition from other sticker businesses
Benefits of Sticker Business
There are many benefits to starting a sticker business, including:
- You have total control over your brand
- It’s a great way to promote your business or brand
- Stickers are easy to produce and ship
- They can be used for a variety of purposes
- People love stickers!
The potential market for stickers is large. There are many different ways to sell stickers, so you’re sure to find one that works best for you. They’re also a great way to promote your business or brand. And who doesn’t love stickers? 🙂
Learn How to Start a Sticker Business
Someone out there wants to buy your art to add to their collection. And it’s the time to make your creative talent work for you. So now that you learned how to start a sticker business, what does success look like for you?
If you’re ready to take your business to the next level, apply today to learn all the ways you can level up your startup.